[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole
.

Scaplen’s Court Museum

Scaplen's Court Museum is Poole's most complete mediaeval domestic building. This page covers:

  • The History of Scaplen's Court
  • Tudor Herb and Physic Garden
  • Scaplen's Court Today
Scaplen's Court Front

The History of Scaplen's Court

 Scaplen's Court has undergone many changes over the centuries. During the Civil War it was known as the 'George Inn' and was probably occupied by Parlimentarian troops, as many initials and dates from that period are scratched on the old stone fireplaces.

The building was used in a marriage settlement for one of John Scaplen his granddaughters in 1784. Over the years Scaplen's Court deteriorated until, in 1928, the Society of Poole Men raised the sum of £430 with the object of purchasing, restoring and developing the building. The property was opened to the public in April 1929.

Back to top


Tudor Herb and Physic Garden

When the Society of Poole Men purchased Scaplens Court, George Dilliston, a renowned garden architect, was asked to lay out the Tudor Garden adjacent to the building. He planned the hard landscaping that can be seen today, using granite beach cobbles from Spain.

After several years of neglect, the garden, with help from local community sponsors and volunteers, was restored to its former glory and opened to the public in July 2001.

Staffed by volunteers, the garden is now opened to the public every summer.

Back to top


Scaplen's Court Museum Today

Today, for most of the year, the building is used by the Poole Museum Learning Service. However, every August it is open to the general public. Events are also held throughout the year.

Please note - not all parts of Scaplen's Court Museum are wheelchair-accessible.

Back to top

Related pages

Contact us

Poole Museum
4 High Street
Poole
BH15 1BW

01202 262600

museums@poole.gov.uk

Poole Museum Logo